The Box Jump is a great movement for developing explosive power and jumping ability. It literally does what is says on the.. well… box. From a standing position on the ground, you just take a big leap onto a box, stand up straight and then step back down again. The great thing about Box Jumps is playing with the height – we suggest you start off low as your first few box jumps may feel a little intimidating and you can gradually built the height up as you feel more comfortable. When starting out, or trying a higher box, don’t use one with hard, sharp edges as hitting the box with your shins can lead to a nasty gash on the shins. CrossFit Seminar Staff member Julie Foucher demonstrates the box jump and takes us through the performance points.
Points Of Performance
- Stand on feet with hip-width apart
- Jump onto the box using a two-foot take-off
- Both feet land on the box simultaneously
- Keep the knees in line with the toes
- Complete at full hip and knee extension
- Jump or step down to begin the next repetition